When you’re touring a prospective assisted living community for your loved one, its residents are your best resource. Since this isn’t any small decision, you should also conduct as much research as possible to ensure your decision will enhance your loved one’s current lifestyle, not take a giant step back. Here are a couple of things to consider when looking for a community for your loved one.
Consider The Right Level of Care
While assisted living communities come in all shapes and sizes, they also vary in the services offered. At the same time, no two adults have the same needs which make it important to assess the right level of care needed for your loved one. Ranging from Independent Living for more active individuals to Assisted Living with varying degrees of care available, your ideal retirement community is one that matches your loved one’s needs. For individuals dealing with dementia, Memory Care programs can be significantly beneficial.
The Holistic Experience
Knowing which amenities, recreational activities, and services your loved one values most will help in narrowing down your search to get the most out of the assisted living community you choose.
- Amenities – Usually, amenities vary from community to community. The quality of their amenities may greatly differ too. Are you more interested in easy access to a swimming pool or fitness center? What about libraries and game rooms?
- Recreation – A schedule that matches your interests and hobbies encourages socialization and gives you something to look forward to each morning. We recommend checking out the community’s monthly calendar to get a feel for the different lifestyles offered and compare them based on your needs. This is the best time to see whether the hobbies and passions most important to you are available.
- Services – Besides the common housekeeping, laundry, restaurant dining, and concierge services, some communities offer the added benefit of on-site therapies or medical-related services. These are designed to make your loved one’s life more convenient, so be sure to assess which ones will benefit you most.
Before choosing an assisted living community, conduct research on its accessibility to generally any place you may wish to frequent – nearby landmarks, restaurants, entertainment venues, and more. The location also plays a huge role in the choice of a community for most individuals as not only does this decision affect them. Their family members and friends who wish to visit would want to be able to reach you during the holidays or whenever they’re free. The questions to ask yourself are:
- Would you like the rest of your family to be within proximity to you?
- Are you interested in exploring a new part of the country?
- What kind of climate best suits your body?
Why Choose Aston Gardens At Pelican Marsh?
Our senior living community boasts a broad range of amenities and services that make it an ideal destination for retirees. At the end of the day, how an environment makes your loved one feels is most important, which you can better assess once you get a feel of our community.