Spring has finally sprung. Right around the corner, however, is summer. Many people consider the official start of summer to be Memorial Day. What kind of Memorial Day activities do you have planned? Do you have a retirement age (or older) loved one who will be attending your festivities? If so, you’ll want to include them in as many celebratory happenings as possible. This can be achieved safely and enjoyably, as long as certain precautions are taken, and safeguards are put in place.
Keep in mind any dietary restrictions, limited mobility, allergies, the weather, and more to better ensure everyone’s safety and happiness.
Time for Some Fresh Air
It’s time to breathe in some fresh air and soak up the sun, so grab your lawn chairs and blankets! Remember, however, to also grab your sunscreen, sun hat, sunglasses, and maybe even a sizable umbrella. If you’re going to be outside, make sure there is plenty of shade available, a cooler with ice, lots of liquid refreshments, and a nearby restroom (possibly one that is handicap accessible).
Possible Outdoor Activities
If you enjoy the great outdoors, and you want to make the most of it during your Memorial Day celebration, here are some suggestions:
- Visit a zoo or go birdwatching (the point is to take in as much nature as possible).
- Promote relaxation and relieve stress with a gardening workshop.
- Rent a pontoon boat and go for a ride on the water. Bring cool beverages, fun snacks, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc. Make sure that it is wheelchair accessible if need be.
- Take in a parade. Admire the floats, enjoy the music, and bring your most comfortable outdoor chair.
- Put together a picnic at your favorite park or enjoy a backyard barbecue.
An Indoor Celebration
If mother nature doesn’t cooperate, or you’re partying with people who just don’t do well in the sun and hot weather, you may want to take your party indoors. That’s okay! You can have a lot of fun indoors, just like you could have outside. Here are some suggestions:
- Have a baking party with cherry pie, bread, cookies, etc.
- Play chess, dominoes, board games, or something else that keeps everyone’s mind focused and active.
- Do-it-yourself projects, arts and crafts, etc., are healthy for the spirit, mind, and body.
- Who doesn’t enjoy an ice cream sundae? Make sure you get all the fixings for your ice cream social including cherries, nuts, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and ice cream. Pay special attention, however, to any dietary restrictions.
- The picnic outside may be canceled but that doesn’t mean you can’t bring it indoors. Spread out a couple of blankets on the living room floor or grab the biggest table you have and set out all of your food and patriotic decorations.
Enjoy Our Memorial Day Activities at Aston Gardens At Pelican Marsh!
The residents at Aston Gardens At Pelican Marsh enjoy special activities on Memorial Day and many other celebratory occasions. We have a calendar full of events and happenings every month, courtesy of our Celebrations Activities and Events program.
With movie nights, dances, game nights, parties, and so much more, you will never lack something to do. The socialization opportunities are nearly limitless. If you wish, you can always enjoy a little quiet time reading in privacy. But guaranteed, there’s a celebration right around the corner when you’re ready.
See for yourself all we have to offer. Schedule a tour, today. We’d love to show you around.