Weighed down by nutrition concerns? You’re not alone. America’s waistlines have been steadily expanding, and seniors are not unaffected. In 2018, an alarming 40 percent of senior adults aged 65 and older were obese, and this statistic is only likely to trend upward in the following years. Surprisingly, the number of seniors between 60 to 74 who are underweight has also been increasing. Hence, it is apparent we may have a nutrition crisis on our hands. If you have been worried about meeting your nutritional needs, you may want to consider senior living in Apollo Beach, FL. Read on to find out how living in a retirement community can help take care of your nutritional needs!
Root Causes Of Obesity Among Seniors
Various reasons lead to weight gain or loss among seniors.
- Health problems: An under-active thyroid, hormonal changes caused by menopause, and medicines such as steroids for arthritis or insulin for diabetes may cause seniors to gain weight.
- An increasingly sedentary life: Seniors often become less active as they grow older. This leads to the loss of muscle mass and a decrease in metabolism rate. Hence, seniors may be burning fewer calories even while they eat and drink the same amount as they always do, leading to weight gain.
- Lack of affordability and accessibility: Healthy, nutritious food is usually more expensive than unhealthy foods, and some seniors may not be able to afford it. For many seniors that don’t drive, it may also prove challenging to obtain fresh food. They may opt for unhealthy canned food instead that can be stored for longer periods.
- Social isolation: Loneliness and isolation can drive people to eat more. Food may become an unhealthy coping mechanism to self-soothe, or ease boredom.
Root Causes Of Seniors Being Underweight
- Health problems: Seniors with dementia, depression, or dental problems may skip meals and have lower appetites.
- Lack of affordability and accessibility: Again, the high cost and inaccessibility of healthy foods may cause some seniors to opt for less nutritious food options instead.
- Alcohol problems: Alcoholism interferes with the digestion and absorption of nutrients. Substitution of food with alcohol will also hamper nutritional goals.
How Senior Living Can Take Care of Your Nutritional Needs
Retirement communities such as ours here at Aston Gardens at Sun City Center ensure that their residents are well taken care of. Nutritional goals are met with style and ease, as three gourmet meals are prepared daily by chefs. Retirement communities also cater to the specific dietary requirements of each individual, making sure that every resident does not need to worry about their health.
The added benefit of medication management and fitness activities, plus fitness amenities and daily activities, ensure that seniors are not isolated. Since communal dining is the norm in retirement communities, seniors living there can enjoy plenty of social interaction. Transportation to town is often provided for those who crave outside activities or would like to eat at a special restaurant or cafe. Hence, residents are provided with plenty of opportunities to stay mentally and physically fit in their ripe old age.
If you would like to inquire whether senior living is right for you, contact us today!