Most of us are prepared for when our parents begin to age, but not everyone is prepared for when our parents begin to show a decline in cognitive function. Forgetfulness and confusion can be early indicators of a memory issue, sometimes being Alzheimer’s or dementia. However, realizing your parent require additional memory care can be daunting, making finding care difficult. Knowing what to ask of a senior living community is crucial to ensuring your parent will be well cared for in this next chapter of their life.
Questions to Ask Regarding Memory Care
In your search for a memory care program for your parent, be sure to ask some of the following questions:
- What level of care is provided in your community? – This allows you to understand how much medical care your loved one can expect to receive while living in the community.
- What is the staff to patient ratio? – You want to ensure that there is enough staff to keep an eye on residents and to keep them safe.
- What type of daily activities will residents participate in? – Daily activities that exercise both the body and mind are crucial in memory care communities.
- What type of safety precautions are in place? – Areas, where residents will be living or spending time, must be secured at all times to ensure their safety. Because of their memory loss or confusion, these residents are often prone to wandering at all hours, meaning safety precautions are vital.
- What training does your staff have? – Staff should be trained on basic first aid as well as how to care for those living with memory loss.
- What are your visiting policies? – Although your parent is no longer living with you or in the family home, you still want time to visit and spend time with them. Make sure visiting hours and policies align with your schedule.
Never be nervous to ask a facility these questions to ensure your parent will receive the care they deserve during this time. Once you have the necessary information, you will feel more comfortable making these important decisions for your parent.
SHINE® Memory Care at Aston Gardens
In your search for senior care for parents, be sure to consider Aston Gardens Senior Living communities. Aston Gardens offers SHINE® Memory Care, an acclaimed program that is built on six major points of focus in order to best care for residents. Our team is certified in the care of residents living with progressive memory illnesses. We also provide healthy meals and daily activities to help maintain health and wellness in each of our residents.
Activities through our SHINE® Memory Care program allow residents to interact with others in the program or have one-on-one time with a team member. They are also appropriate to the age, attention span, and abilities of the resident.
We emphasize the following in our program:
- Superior communication with residents and families
- Extensive training for our team members
- A handcrafted “My Story” book for each resident
- A dining experience that uses subtle sciences to stimulate appetite, interaction, awareness, and participation
- Group and one-on-one activities, sensory experiences, and quiet, relaxed moments
- Safe, secure neighborhoods created with your loved one’s convenience, health, and happiness in mind
If your parent is showing signs that they require memory care, it’s time to turn to some of the locations of Aston Gardens. With six different locations throughout southern Florida, we are able to provide the necessary care for your loved one. Our communities include:
- Aston Gardens At Parkland Commons
- Aston Gardens At Pelican Marsh
- Aston Gardens At Pelican Pointe
- Aston Gardens At Sun City Center
- Aston Gardens At Tampa Bay
- Aston Gardens At The Courtyards
To learn more about our communities, programs, and amenities, contact Aston Gardens today at . We are here to provide you with the information you need to best care for your parents.