Many older adults lose interest in preparing meals and cooking as they age, but having the right nutrition and diet is important for healthy aging. Changing taste buds, medication side effects, eating alone, and physical difficulty are reasons why older adults may not cook the foods they love. Another reason is becoming tired of cooking the same old recipes. Having the right diet made up of fresh fruits and vegetables is key to healthy aging. Read on to learn more about nutrient-dense meal recipes for the elderly!
One-Pan Salmon and Vegetables
This recipe is simple and easy. You can always replace salmon using another type of fish or change the veggies depending on your preference.
- 1 zucchini or squash, sliced
- Half an onion, cut into wedges
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 Salmon fillets
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or fish seasoning
- 1 lemon, optional
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and use aluminum foil or parchment paper to line the baking sheet.
- Toss the veggies with the oil and seasoning in a large bowl and spread them onto the baking sheet.
- Place the salmon fillets between the vegetables. Brush with the remaining oil and top off with thin lemon slices.
- Roast for 12 to 15 minutes until the salmon is cooked.
- Add one fillet and a serving of veggies to each plate and enjoy your meal!
Berry Chicken Salad
For a protein-rich and colorful lunch, you can use this easy recipe to create a wonderful shredded chicken salad with fresh, antioxidant-rich berries.
- ¼ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1½ cups chopped or shredded leftover chicken
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed and boiled
- 1 cup whole fresh blueberries or quartered fresh strawberries
- Torn salad greens or spinach
- Whisk the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken, celery, berries, peas, and mix well to combine.
- Scoop the chicken salad over salad greens or spinach for a delicious and filling lunch.
Aston Gardens At Pelican Pointe
At Aston Gardens At Pelican Pointe, we have created a lovely senior living community just for you. Located in Venice, you get to have convenient access to the best medical and entertainment facilities. Our residents are able to enjoy a variety of fun and exciting activities to keep them active and engaged. Here, you will be able to enjoy our amazing amenities and facilities. Our dedicated team of staff is committed to taking care of your needs and you will surely feel at home in our community. You will get to experience the dream lifestyle you have always wanted.
After reading about nutrient-dense meal recipes for the elderly, you might want to enjoy meals that have all these essential nutrients. If you want to enjoy gourmet meals prepared by top chefs, do consider staying with us. Feel free to contact us today for more information.