As we get older, our bodies go through many changes. One of the most common changes we might experience is fatigue or extreme tiredness. It can be difficult to distinguish between normal fatigue and exhaustion that is caused by a more serious issue such as depression or an underlying medical condition. If you are concerned about extreme fatigue in your elderly loved one, it is important to understand what may be causing it. If your loved one is considering Assisted Living in Venice, FL, find out how our retirement community can help him combat exhaustion and lethargy.
What Causes Extreme Fatigue among the Elderly?
There are several possible causes of extreme fatigue among the elderly:
- Aging: As we age, our bodies produce less energy and require more rest than when we were younger. Our muscles also become weaker, making physical activity more challenging and tiring.
- Medication: Many medications used to treat chronic medical conditions can cause side effects such as drowsiness, which can lead to excessive fatigue.
- Depression: Depression is a common mental health condition that can lead to feelings of exhaustion, a loss of interest in activities and difficulty concentrating.
- Poor Nutrition: Poor nutrition can lead to nutrient deficiencies, which can cause extreme fatigue. To keep our energy up as we age, we need to eat a balanced diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Lack of Exercise: Regular exercise is important for maintaining good health as we age. However, some elderly may not be able to exercise due to physical limitations or a lack of access to safe exercise facilities. The lack of physical activity can cause muscle weakness, which leads to extreme fatigue and decreased energy levels.
- Sleep Disorders: Sleep disorders, such as insomnia and sleep apnea, can disrupt sleep patterns in the elderly and cause extreme fatigue during the day.
How Can Assisted Living in Venice, FL, Help Seniors with Extreme Fatigue?
Residents in our Assisted Living community in Venice, FL, get to enjoy on-site amenities such as our well-equipped fitness center, swimming pool and more. Other than personalized care services like medication management, our exclusive senior living programs are designed to keep your loved one in the pink of health:
- Nutrition Counseling: Residents have access to nutrition counseling where experienced professionals will create personalized meal plans tailored to their needs and dietary restrictions. Hence, your loved ones will be able to get all the vitamins and minerals they need for good health and energy throughout the day.
- Exercise Classes: Our Assisted Living community offers senior fitness classes so your loved ones can get the physical activity they need without straining or overexerting their bodies.
- Socialization Opportunities: Socialization is important for seniors’ mental well-being. However, it may be difficult to participate in social activities if they suffer from extreme fatigue. In Assisted Living, residents get to socialize with one another so they don’t have to expend energy on traveling from place to place.
- Medical Care: Residents have access to round-the-clock medical care and if your loved one suffers from extreme fatigue, our trained professionals can work with him to identify its cause and treat his condition.
Extreme fatigue among the elderly is a common problem, but it doesn’t have to stop your loved ones from fully enjoying life in their golden years! To learn more about our Assisted Living community, contact us today.