Natural disasters happen unannounced, and the impact can be damaging physically, economically, and emotionally. The best way to reduce the impact of disasters like hurricanes when they occur is to prepare ahead. This hurricane preparedness for seniors in Naples, FL will get you ready before the next natural disaster:
Get Necessary Supplies
Once there is an announcement of an impending Hurricane, the first preparation is gathering useful supplies. As an older adult, you might not have the strength of gathering supplies during the incident. So start getting them earlier.
The kit must be useful for you whether you are staying in your home or in a shelter. Also, the kit must include basic things that are important for your survival. Most importantly, the kit should include medical supplies and things that will get you through when there is a power outage.
Aside from preventing the stress that comes with rushing when Hurricane approaches. You are also able to get all the necessary supplies without forgetting any.
Ensure the kit is mobile and you wouldn’t have difficulty carrying it when needed.
Have an Emergency Contact List
In situations like this, trusting a single person as your emergency contact is dangerous. Your primary caregiver might not be available when the disaster occurs, so you should have a couple of contact at hand.
The contact can include your family members, friends, and neighbors. Just ensure you don’t put all your hope on a single person. Keep the emergency contact closer to you, you can put it in your emergency kit or a safer place. Irrespective, ensure you have different options in case your primary caregiver cannot be reached.
Know your Needs
While planning, there is a need to consider what you need. What are your daily essentials? What medications do you take? Can you drive? Do you need help with daily activities? Are you able to move on your own without help? In your plan, outline your needs as this will help you know the help you need when the disaster occurs.
Stay in Assisted Living Communities
Getting prepared ahead for the Hurricane might be overwhelming and too much on your health. The best option is to consider a respite care at an assisted living center near you. All the help, supplies, and preparation you need will be handled by these centers.
They have safety protocols against hurricanes to keep you safe in the community. Most importantly, these centers have power generators in case of any power outage. So be rest assured you are safe in these centers.
Prepare for Power Outages
One of the effects of hurricanes is power outages. It is common seeing this disaster leaving everywhere without power. These few tips will keep you prepared ahead in case of any power outages:
- Gas: Ensure you have a tank full of gas and don’t wait till the last minutes before doing this. You might not be able to handle the panic that comes with rushing. Put some extra gas in your generators and cars.
- ATMs: There won’t be working or accessible ATMs so have some cash at hand.
- Cell Phones: They must be fully charged and ensure you limit use.
- A/C: Improvise with battery-operated fans as a backup. And don’t run them unless you are in the room. The discomfort from not having a working A/C is almost unbearable.
- Water: Fill containers and possibly your bathtub with water. You can use it for flushing and washing.
- Food: Freeze food and drinking water to prepare for a power outage.