After a severe illness or injury, chances are that you will find yourself being unable to move about freely as you would like. You might require the assistance of your loved one to walk, sit down on or getting up from a chair, or move about in bed. Additionally, you could possibly need a walking aid such as a cane to maintain your balance while walking.

In a hospital setting, an in-house physiotherapist will evaluate your mobility before you can be discharged and allowed to return home. Depending on your condition, you might have to return to the hospital regularly for physiotherapy sessions. If your medical condition makes it inconvenient for you to leave your home, a physiotherapist can come to your place of residence instead.

About Our Mobility and Transfer Assistance Services

At Aston Gardens At The Courtyards, we offer different levels of mobility and transfer assistance. Read more about them below.


Ideally, this is the goal that all patients, if possible, should aspire to. At this level, patients should be able to perform functional tasks safely without any help, be it from another person or physical equipment.

Stand-By Assist

At this level of assistance, the physiotherapist provides no assistance and does not physically hold or touch patients. Rather, he or she will be within close proximity and will step in when required, i.e., when the patient loses his or her balance or needs help to complete the functional tasks safely.

Contact Guard Assist

At this level of assistance, the assistance provided by the physiotherapist is minimal. Apart from placing his or her hands on the patient’s body, no other assistance is required. This helps the patient to maintain his or her balance to complete the required functional task.

Minimal, Moderate, and Maximal Assist

These levels of assistance can be best described using percentages.

For minimal assist, patients put in 75% of the effort for the required functional task, while the physiotherapist will assist with the remaining 25%.

For moderate assist, the workload is equal, with patients putting in 50% and the physiotherapist assisting with the remaining 50%.

For maximal assist, the physiotherapist will provide 75% assistance, while the patient will perform 25% of the work.


This level of assistance means that the patient is totally unable to put any effort required to perform functional tasks successfully. As such, the physiotherapist, or other healthcare professionals such as nurses, will have to do all of the work.

Patients who require such a level of assistance are often those who are nearing the end of their lives, for instance, patients who are suffering from end-stage cancer, kidney, or heart disease. At this stage, it is strongly recommended that residents be transferred into a community that can provide comprehensive and dignified end-of-life care such as a hospice.

Benefits of Having Mobility and Transfer Assistance Services in Your Senior Living Community

At Aston Gardens At The Courtyards, our Senior Assisted Living community is made up of caring, professional staff who possess the required expertise to assist our residents in mobility and transfer assistance.

When Should You Consider Moving into a Senior Living Community?

Do not let your mobility issues prevent you from doing what you love. At Aston Gardens At The Courtyards, with the help of our team, you will be free to live your best life and engage in the activities you love doing without worrying about your mobility and transfer needs.

Why Choose Aston Gardens At The Courtyards?

Not only do we have an on-site, 24-hour medical and nursing team to take care of your mobility and transfer assistance requirements, we also boast world-class amenities and facilities for all our residents to enjoy.

To learn more about living in Aston Gardens At The Courtyards, contact us or call us at 813.710.4380 today.